Thursday, August 28, 2014

Somewhere to Write

     When and where do you do your best writing? Some writers need complete silence. Others like music in the background, a little blues, jazz, or classical. Some might need the white noise of a fan, or the background drum of conversation at the coffee house.

     Stephen King writes behind a closed door, where no one can intrude on him. Anne Rice has found inspiration writing on a quiet beach in Florida. Jodi Picoult writes in her attic. Hemingway wrote in the morning (like several writers). Nora Roberts writes in her office, located on the top floor of her house. I inspire to write in solitude, with quiet that allows my creativity to run rampant without interference. Of course, and I think most writers can agree, optimal writing environments aren't always available. We can't always lock the door behind us and revel in our work.

      E.B. White said, "A writer who waits for ideal conditions under which to work will die without putting a word on paper." I like this quote because it validates my moments of sporadic creativity, and since my writing environment isn't always ideal I have to compromise.

     I'm working on the sequel to my debut novel, Beyond Gavia. The rewrites are pretty deep. I am cutting out several parts of telling and adding deep point view to bring the reader into the moment. Focus is needed! But my two and a half year old doesn't care about rewrites.

     "Mommy, I want sit on your lap." She stares up at me with big blue eyes. "Put computer down."

     Dang, I think. I am really into the part. Creative fuel is abundant. If I put my computer down inspiration may flounder and slip away, never to return again. I must write.

      "Mommy, I want you hold me."

     I sigh and I sit my work to the side and pull my little Lily into my arms where we cuddle and watch Caillou. Writing will have to wait.

     This happens all the time. Writing is a large part of my life, but my little girl is bigger. I am sure thousands of writers experience such moments. When Nora Roberts began writing, she wrote around her sons nap schedules. I do this when I can. I also write at work during down times. I write while doing laundry. I write after work when everyone is asleep and I write with my morning coffee. Morning is my favorite time to write, before stress can enter my brain. But since I don't always get to write during the best moments I have to write when I can. The optimal writing environment isn't always there.

     I'm curious to how other writers find their optimal writing environments and how they compromise when they can't.




    

No comments:

Post a Comment