Sunday, March 2, 2014

Story Problems

     When I was kid I hated story problems, but that was math. As a writer I enjoy the challenge of working through story problems: plot snags, character glitches, flow issues, word decisions. It can be frustrating and hard work, especially during the editing process. Sometimes plot points don't add up, sometimes you over write, sometimes you under write. Sometimes the research isn't supportive enough for what you are writing. Your main character might feel flat. But that's beauty of it, the hard of it. It reminds of a quote from the film A League of their own, "it's the hard that makes it great." Tom Hanks (my favorite actor) said this about baseball, but as writers we can easily apply the quote to the craft of writing. He also said, "if it wasn't hard, everyone would do it." It's a process, a sometimes rocky one, but I love it! What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment