Friday, February 7, 2014

Publishing with an ebook publisher: some things to know


     Getting published is every writer's dream. We write, we dream, we write, and we dream. The dream varies, and not to generalize, but most of us writer's want a contract with one of the big publishers. I've read blogs and articles how some writers will make a list, topping it with their "most wanted". Once the bigger publishers reject your great idea, slip down to the smaller ones. Within the list there could be an eBook publishing company. It was in mine and I ended up publishing with that company. I learned much from publishing with an eBook publisher, and like with any publisher, I am sure there is the good and the bad.


1. It's easier to get published with an eBook publisher. They take on many more authors than other publishers do because the monetary risk is smaller. They don't have to pay to print thousands of books and if they do offer paperback it is POD (print on demand). My publisher did pay for an editor and for the cover design.

2. If you publish with an epublisher, using that credential could hurt rather than help in an attempt to get an agent or publish with a larger house. Of course you'd want to add your novel to your publishing credits, but several agents and publishers often look at epublishing like they do self-publishing. I was online searching for an agent to represent my next book. Several of them said not to list works published by eBook publishers or POD publishers. This poses the question, do I tell other potential agents or publishers about the book I wrote and was published? I thought, well that's not fair. I worked my butt off on my book. I should be able to add it to my credentials. I still wonder what's best on that one. I guess the work you are querying should speak for itself.

3. I don't know about all epublisher, but most don't pay an advance. They pay royalties only.

4. You are probably going to have to do most if not all of your marketing. This doesn't go just for  epublishers but bigger publishers as well. No matter where an author publishes they have to do the bulk of the marketing.

5. Just because it's an eBook publisher doesn't mean you don't have to do a great job trying to sell your book. The guidelines for my publisher were tightly tailored. On top of query letter, synopsis, and completed MS, I had to have a business plan and author website.

     These are things I have learned publishing with an eBook publisher. I am sure other authors have had the same and different experiences. Today writers have many more options when it comes to getting their books published. Epublishing is one way to go.
      

No comments:

Post a Comment